Children from first through fifth grade are invited to participate in the
National Garden Clubs, Inc. Poster Contest!
Poster Rules and Tips
- All poster entrees must be sponsored by a local Garden Club.
- Posters must feature Smokey Bear or Woodsy Owl and may not feature both together.
- Smokey Bear posters must include Smokey’s wildfire prevention message:
- Only you Can Prevent Wildfires!
- Woodsy Owl posters must include Woodsy’s conservation message:
- Lend a Hand, Care for the Land!
- Each poster MUST be 11 x 17 inches in size.
- The posters should encourage children to take a personal role in preventing wildfires or conserving natural resources.
- A good poster has a bold and simple design. Its message is easily read and understood and is delivered both in picture and in text.
- Materials that can be used include: crayons, markers, poster paints, water colors, etc. The choice of paper is up to the child.
- Posters may include artwork pasted upon a second piece of paper. However, they must be flat. No 3-dimensional posters, computer scanned, or electronically generated images will be accepted.
- The artist’s name, address, home phone, grade, school, teacher’s name, city and state must be printed on the back of the poster in the lower right corner. Please use label from GCG website for your district located under Youth Programs, Smokey Bear/Woodsy Owl Poster Contest.
- Each poster must also show the name and city of the sponsoring local garden club.
- Posters are to be completed by individual student artists.
- Students should check spelling. Posters with spelling errors will be disqualified.
- Posters will be judged for originality, design, slogan, artwork, and overall effectiveness of the message.
- Since Smokey Bear and Woodsy Owl are Official icons protected by law, the colors of their clothing needs to be accurate. Check the colors on the Web site:
- www.fs.usda.gov/conservationeducation. A poster may include just the head of Smokey or Woodsy.
- Winning posters should be copied as they will not be returned.
- Visit www.gardenclub.uga.edu and www.gardenclub.org for further contest details.
- Only 5 first place posters in the State competition will be entered in Regional competition. Regional winners will be entered in National competition. National entries become the property of NGC.
Posters are due on or before November 15, 2019 to the Norcross Garden Club.
Contact email@example.com to make arrangements to drop off your entry.