We’re number one, we’re number one...
With the Norcross Garden Club heading into its 90th year, what better way to make an entrance than with being honored with number ONE garden club in all of Georgia. This prestigious achievement was not easy and the team of hard working and dedicated members made this all possible. We don’t just sit around sniffing and pruning roses all year.
The club won numerous other awards, complementing last year’s banner awards achievements, in the state of Georgia awarded by the Garden Club of Georgia (GCG) and Deep South all achieved by the club’s leadership team and member teams eager to contribute their time, expertise, and efforts. 2020 awards include:
Conservation - This award included the following activities:
- Bee House Workshop during the Norcross Community Market
- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle through art - Youth Activities at the Norcross Community Market (Recycling Sculpture Contest)
- The Great Georgia Pollinator Census
- Rivers Alive stream clean up event
- The Enchanted Forest in Johnson Dean Forest
Gardens for the Challenged - This award detailed Teresa Stoker's involvement with the Annandale Villagers.
Herbs - A presentation on herbs given by three of our members: Jane Cunningham, Pearline Brown and Sandra Pagano.
National Garden Week - This award explained the Club’s activities during National Garden Week, June 1 - June 8, 2019 which included:
- A floral display for both Norcross City Hall and Peachtree Corners City Hall
- Garden Therapy with the Annandale Villagers in Discovery Garden Park
- The construction of paper straws for a Bee House event at the Norcross Community Market
- A field trip to Daybreak Flower Farm and Tuck-away Blueberry Farm
Garden Therapy - Annandale Villagers activities in Discovery Garden Park
Public Relations - Promoting membership to the GCG by participating in the annual Scarecrows in the Garden at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens
Website www.norcrossgardenclub.org (Last year we won First Place at the National and state levels)
Conservation - Youth activities focused on the importance of pollinators
We were also awarded two Deep South Awards:
First Place - Environmental Education
Second Place - Public Relations
2019 Norcross Garden Club wins FOUR 1st PLACE Awards AT NATIONAL!
Members of the Garden Club of Georgia attended the National Garden Clubs Convention in Biloxi, MS and came home with awards that we, the Norcross Garden Club, are to be congratulated.
1) Thanks to Jolyn Barrow, our website (designed and maintained by club member) has won first place IN THE NATION!
2) Thanks to Tixie Fowler among others, our Conservation Education programs have won us first place IN THE NATION!
3) Thanks to Carol MacGregor, Sandy Pagano, Tixie Fowler, Trudy Rudert and all who have helped develop & maintain our Cottage “pollinator” Garden and those who helped educate the public during the 2018 farmers market. You have earned us a first place IN THE NATION on Pollinators!
4) Thanks to Tixie Fowler, Trudy Rudert and all who helped us earn first place IN THE NATION for Youth Horticulture Achievement, thank you for your dedication!
Note: These awards were based on our large club status of 60 to 99 members.